Northern Templar is ADOH’s unique custom class. The description of this new class is the following:
Prestige Class #
Legends tell that somewhere up north in the Icy Wastes existed an ancient great city of Krisaldimun. Trying to escape the constant war with the Underdark, a large group of peasants accompanied by several brave soldiers left their hometown and travelled thousands of miles, trying to find a place to settle. The road was full of dangers and hardships. Harsh weather conditions and wild animals have proven to be too much for more than a half of the original group. But there was no way back. Finally, the remainders of the group reached a snowy valley surrounded by mountains and decided to settle there. The first year of their survival was harsh, but the dedication and bravery of these people with time have turned a little settlement into a small town and then into a large city. Being independent from large empires, Krisaldimun had its own set of rules that allowed anyone of any origin and race to join, as long as the newcomers obeyed their laws. In order to enforce the rules, a special military group was created, known as the Northern Order. Anyone willing to protect and guard the city could join. The soldiers of the Order, the Northern Templars, not only received military training, but also engaged in spiritual practices. Templars were taught to use the energy of the cold to their own advantage, basically a form of primitive, but very powerful magic, that allowed the Northern Templars to take advantage of even the toughest foes. But the prosperous city of Krisaldimun was about to meet its end. A large group of white dragons attacked the city seemingly out of nowhere. The Northern Templars tried to battle them, but were quickly overwhelmed. Almost everyone in the city died and the rest of the survivors, including several Templars, had to flee again. It is said that up to this date some of the Templars still wonder around Nordock, trying to pass their wisdom to the individuals they meet.
Hit die: d10
Proficiencies: Heavy armor
Skill points: 2 + int modifier
Skills: Concentration, Craft Trap, Discipline, Heal, Lore, Parry, Ride
Unavailable feats: brew potion, craft wand, curse song, divine might, divine shield, extra music, extra turning, lingering song, quicken spell, scribe scroll, spell focus ***I am unsure if there are more feats on this list***
These general feats cannot be selected when taking a level of Northern Templar.
Primary saving throw(s): fortitude
Base attack bonus: +1/level
Northern Templar Requirements #
Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Race: Any Race without cold vulnerability
Skills: Discipline 10 ranks, Lore 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feats: Great Fortitude, Luck of Heroes, Toughness
Special requirement: Northern Templar cannot have levels in the Red Dragon Disciple class
Northern Templar Special Feats & Abilities #
- Frost Armor – Northern Templar’s skin becomes hard as ice, granting him 10% cold resistance and + 1 bonus to AC. AC from Frost Armor is considered a special armor bonus and stacks with all other forms of AC. This ability improves at levels 5, 10, 15 and 20.
- Crystal of Pure Ice – Northern Templar is able to create a magical crystal at a target location in order to distract his enemies. This crystal has 100 + (NT class level x NT strength modifier) hit points, cannot move or attack and has immunity to cold damage, ability/level drain, critical hits, death magic and mind-affecting spells. When the crystal is destroyed, it explodes, dealing 2d6 + (NT level x 3) cold damage to all near-by enemies. In addition, this magic crystal emits a cold aura that deals 2d6 + (NT level x 2) damage each round to all near-by hostile creatures. Each 3 levels in class Northern Templar gains 1 charge for this ability (up to 10 a level 30). This crystal exists for an unlimited amount of time (until destroyed by an enemy), but can also be manually destroyed using the “Destroy the Crystal” ability or by summoning another crystal. Changing the area or getting too far also destroys the crystal. The crystal cannot be healed in any way.
- Cloud of Snow – Northern Templar is able to transform into a living cloud of snow for 3 rounds. While in this form, Northern Templar is immune to any damage and effects, but his strength and dexterity are lowered to 4. In addition, Northern Templar is unable to use any non-instant abilities and any items, except potions. This instant feat allows the Northern Templar to escape even from the worst situations. This ability gains + 1 additional use at levels 10, 20 and 30.
- Endurance of the North – At level 10 the hard training of the Northern Templar pays off, granting him +2 to all his ability scores.
- Guardian of Krisaldimun – Northern Templar is able to transform into a Giant Ice Golem for 4 turns. This shape grants Northern Templar excellent strength and constitution ability scores, additional immunities and spell resistance, but also a low dexterity score and vulnerability to fire damage. Note that AC bonuses from Frost Armor, Endurance of the North ability score bonuses and transmutation spell focuses do not work in this form. The stats of the Guardian improve at Northern Templar level 30.
Check our Custom Polymorph System, to see the Guardian of Krisaldimun shape scaling.
- Cold-Blooded – Northern Templar’s body and mind become calm as ice. This grants him immunity to knockdown and attack bonus decrease effects, as well as additional 5% resistance to physical damage.
Northern Templar Level Progression #
|Level||Base attack bonus||Saves (Fort / Reflex / Will)||Feats||HP||Frost Armor|
|1st||+1||2 / 0 / 0||Frost Armor 1||10||+10% cold immunity|
|2nd||+2||3 / 0 / 0||20|
|3rd||+3||3 / 1 / 1||Crystal of Pure Ice||30|
|4th||+4||4 / 1 / 1||40|
|5th||+5||4 / 1 / 1||Cloud of Snow|
Frost Armor 2
|50||+25% cold immunity|
|6th||+6||5 / 2 / 2||Crystal of Pure Ice 2/day||60|
|7th||+7||5 / 2 / 2||70|
|8th||+8||6 / 2 / 2||80|
|9th||+9||6 / 3 / 3||Crystal of Pure Ice 3/day||90|
|10th||+10||7 / 3 / 3||Endurance of the North|
Cloud of Snow 2/day
Frost Armor 3
|100||+50% cold immunity|
Northern Templar Guard #
Bonus feats: The epic Northern Templar gains a bonus feat every four levels after 10th. In other words, at levels 14, 18, 22, 26, and 30
Epic bonus feats: armored skin, devastating critical, epic damage reduction, epic prowess, epic toughness, epic weapon focus, overwhelming critical ***I am unsure if there are more epic feats on this list***
Unavailable epic feats: automatic quicken spell, automatic silent spell, automatic still spell, bane of enemies, construct shape, dragon shape, epic spell penetration, epic spell: dragon knight, epic spell: epic mage armor, epic spell: epic warding, epic spell: greater ruin, epic spell: hellball, epic spell: mummy dust, great smiting, improved ki strike 4, improved ki strike 5, improved sneak attack, improved spell resistance, lasting inspiration, mighty rage, outsider shape, planar turning, terrifying rage, thundering rage, undead shape ***I am unsure if there are more epic feats on this list***
These general epic feats cannot be selected when taking a level of Northern Templar.
Epic Elite Guard Level Progression #
|12th||Crystal of Pure Ice 4/day||120|
|15th||Crystal of Pure Ice 5/day|
Frost Armor 4
|150||+75% cold immunity|
Crystal of Pure Ice 6/day
|20th||Guardian of Kirsaldimun|
Cloud of Snow 3/day
Frost Armor 5
|200||+100% cold immunity|
|21st||Crystal of Pure Ice 7/day||210|
|24th||Crystal of Pure Ice 8/day||240|
|27th||Crystal of Pure Ice 9/day||270|
Improved Guardian of Krisaldimun
Cloud of Snow 4/day
Crystal of Pure Ice 10/day
Northern Templar Class Tips #
Northern Templar Community Builds #
- Future build links.