A thief can pick pocket almost everywhere but there are some areas with restrictions, e.g. like most temples, arena (Basically, it won’t work in any NON-PvP area). To start picking someone’s pocket, just target the victim and use the pick pocket option. The following process occurs:
- If you are out of combat, once the target is selected a conversation appears, and you have to select if you want to try to steal gold or items (see below for specific rules and limits).
- If you are in combat, you automatically try to steal an item from the target (without choosing what to steal), but with a higher DC.
- Your character will start to move towards the target.
- When the target is reached, a progress bar appears for a few seconds, showing you how long the theft takes.
Pickpocket attempt: #
Attempt is made using the following calculation:
your Pickpocket skill + d20, against target’s Spot Skill + d20 + other modifiers.
The other modifiers are:
- if your target is the same as your last target, DC increased by +5
- if your target is already an enemy, DC increased by +5
- if you are already in combat while performing the PP action, DC increased by +10
- if your target is already in combat, DC decreased by -10
- if you are on stealth mode while performing the PP action, DC decreased by -5
- if your target is on detect mode, DC increased by +5
- if your target can see you, DC increased by +10
- if your target can’t see you, DC decreased by -10
- if your target can hear you, DC increased by +5
- if your target can’t hear you, DC decreased by -5
- if your target is in an outside area, during night, without darkvision and true see, DC decreased by -5
- if your target is blind while performing the PP action, its Spot skill is set to 20% of its value if the creature has the Blind Fight feat, 40% if that creature is a Boss creature, or ZERO otherwise. Creatures with True Sight are not affected.
- If you are caught, your character will perform a NOT skippable animation, and the target is notified and you are instantly set as hostile.
- If you are not caught, no one will be notified, and you will steal what you have selected in the conversation.
- If you are caught, but you have failed the DC for less than 10%, you can still attempt to complete the theft.
Pick Pocket Limits: #
- Maximum Gold that can be stolen with 1 attempt: 1000 gp. If your Pickpocket skill is at least 40 (pure skill), you can steal x5 gp
- Maximum Weight of a single item that can be stolen is 10 lbs. If your Pickpocket skill is at least 40 (pure skill), you can steal x3 lbs weight
- Maximum Single Item Value that can be stolen is 10000 gp. If your Pickpocket skill is at least 40 (pure skill), you can steal x5 gp item value
Pick Pocket Misc: #
- When used against a Boss Creatures, you can steal a maximum of 1 Heal Potion in that fight.
- Anyone is FREE to attack you if you get caught stealing from a Player Character!
- You can attempt a maximum of 3 Pickpockets + 1 each 10 Pure Pick Pocket skill points per rest!
- You can successfully steal a maximum of 3 times from the same character per server reset!
- You can’t steal from out-of-party-range players!
- You can’t steal if you have some XP Debt!
- You can’t steal containers or equipped items!
- You can’t steal from Players’ Vaults!
- You can’t steal Socketable Items or End-Game Items!
- Stolen item can’t be SOLD or Stored into your Personal Vault if the item was stolen from a player (this restriction (stolen flag) clears automatically after some time has passed after the theft)
- Stolen item from players will DROP on the ground in case you are killed (and if the stolen item flag above hasn’t been removed yet)