Our mounts system differs considerably from NWN vanilla. This page explains how it works.
How to get Mounts: #
Mounts can be obtained in 4 different ways: #
- Purchase from NPC stores spread around the world.
- Drop from in-game events.
- Drop as reward from donations (in this case, only the mount Speed Modifier will be used, all other properties will not grant benefits).
- Looted from some dead creatures corpses (usually, rare and unique mounts can be obtained this way).
While in your inventory, a mount will be represented as an item. #
- That item can be traded freely until used.
- Once you use it, the mount is learned, and the item gets destroyed.
- Once learned, a mount cannot be traded anymore!
How to use Mounts #
- Once a mount is learned, it will be stored on your account database. You will be able to use that mount from any character in your account.
- An unwanted mount can be deleted. Note, once deleted, it is gone and cannot be relearned.
- You can use the Individual Mount feat from your character radial menu to load the mounts menu.
- That menu shows ALL mounts available to your account and that your specific character can mount (see below for level requirements)
- To mount, simply click on the mount button aside of the mount you wish to load!
- A progress bar of 1.6 seconds will load. During that time you cannot move or do other actions. At the end of the progress bar, the mount is loaded on your character!
Mount Properties #
Mounts have 5 unique properties: #
- Speed Factor: each mount has its own speed factor. While mounted, your speed will be replaced with the mount speed factor, regardless if your original speed is lower or higher (monks might have their total speed reduced while mounted because of this). By default a character has a speed factor of 1.00, if you are hasted, you have 1.50, if you are a monk, you can reach a maximum of 3.00 with 40 levels of monk and haste.
- AC Modifier: some mounts might grant an AC increase (dodge AC subject to the +20 dodge AC cap), while mounted. See below for details.
- AB Modifier: some mounts might grant an AB increase (subject to +20 AB cap), while mounted, See below for details.
- Spell Failure: while mounted you will suffer a specific spell failure debuff (this is different from the usual arcane spell failure). Rarer mounts will have a lower value. This value can be reduced further by investing in the RIDE SKILL, see below for details.
- Skills modifier: while mounted, skills like HIDE, MOVE SILENTLY, DISABLE TRAPS, OPEN LOCKS, PICK POCKET, SET TRAP are reduced by the (mount skill modifier * 10). The rarer the mount, the lower this value will be. The skills HIDE and therefore MOVE SILENTLY are not possible when mounted.
How do Mounts properties work: #
- To properly use all mount properties, you need to invest skill points in the Ride Skill, and to take mount feats (Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery to suffer fewer penalties while fighting with ranged weapons)
- When you mount, your Tumble Skill will be reduced by a flat value of -50. Your RIDE SKILL will be used instead, emulating the same behavior (Ride Skill will grant +1 dodge AC each 5 points), but only if you have the Mounted Combat feat.
- If the mount has an AC bonus, you will need the Mounted Combat feat to use it. If you don’t have it, you will suffer a flat -2 AC penalty while mounted.
- If the mount has an AB bonus, you will need the Mounted Combat feat to use it. If you don’t have it, you will suffer a flat -2 AB penalty while mounted. For ranged weapons, that debuff is -4 AB penalty, and can be reduced to -2 if you take the Mounted Archery feat.
- If you have the Mounted Combat feat, the Spell Failure from the mount will be reduced by ((1 point for each 5 pure RIDE SKILL points you have) * 10). If you don’t have the feat, a flat value of 30 Spell Failure debuff will be applied.
- The full mount Speed Factor will be applied when you mount, but as soon as you enter combat, the maximum mount speed will be adjusted based on if you have the Mounted Combat feat, and based on how many points you have invested in the Ride Skill. Check the table below.
Speed Limit: #
- Does not have Mounted Combat?
- Speed limited at 1.5 (150% default speed, same as with the Haste effect)
- Has Mounted combat?
- Ride Skill 43: Max mount speed 2.5 (250%)
- Ride Skill 33+: Max mount speed 2.0 (200%)
- Ride Skill 23+: Max mount speed 1.8 (180%)
- Ride Skill 18+: Max mount speed 1.6 (160%)
Minimum Level Requirements: #
- Tier 1 mounts (common) require at least level 10 to be used (ECL included)
- Tier 2 mounts (rare) require at least level 15 to be used (ECL included)
- Tier 3 mounts (epic) require at least level 20 to be used (ECL included)
- Tier 4 mounts (legendary) require at least level 30 to be used (ECL included)
- Tier 5 mounts (colossal) require at least level 40 to be used (ECL included)
Where are mounts allowed: #
- Mounts can be used in any outdoor area
- Mounts can be used in any indoor & natural area
- Mounts cannot be used in any other areas (exception for Dungeons, where mounts are always allowed)